On this episode of Nailed It, we not only have one, but two very special guest from SDI ACADEMY in our studio. Nazrul and Rubel will be showing off their cooking skills and impart some of their local Bangladesh dishes!
In celebration of Migrant workers working in Singapore, we’ve came out with this special National Day video to not only remind ourselves that home isn’t just about us Singaporeans but also as a harmonious society that bonds well with others, learning to appreciate and accept that special someone regardless of race and religion (sounds cliché but trust me, it’s because of that, that’s what makes us uniquely Singaporeans!)
On a side note, check out the video below if you want to find out why Aiken needs two mommies to find him a girlfriend.
First up, the Chicken Khichuri was my personal favorite, it’s flavorful and the meat of the chicken goes so well with the ginger paste! It’s best served on a rainy day as well! If you want to try out making this dish here’s are the steps to make it!
- Polau rice-chinigura/kalijira/bashmoti – 500 gm
- Masoor dal – 1/2 cup
- Moong Dal – 1/2 cup
- Onion – 2 tablespoon chopped
- Ginger paste – 1 tablespoon
- Garlic paste – 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Green chilies – 4-5 numbers
- Whole cumin – 1/2 teaspoon
- Cinnamon stick 1 – 2 pieces
- Cardamon – 4 numbers
- Bay leaves – 2 small
- Salt – to taste
- Carrot – 1/2 cup chopped
- Oil – 2 tablespoon
- Chicken – 1 kg 8 pieces
- Ginger paste – 2 teaspoon
- Garlic paste – 1 teaspoon
- Onion paste – 2 teaspoon
- Cumin paste – 1 teaspoon
- Coriander powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Garam masla powder – 1 teaspoon
- Ground turmeric – 1/2 teaspoon
- Red Chili Powder – 1 teaspoon
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – 2 + 2 tablespoon
- Other ingredients:
- Ghee – 2 tablespoon
- Onion golden fried(beresta) – 1/4 cup
- Green peas/motorshuti – 1/2 cup
- Mix all ingredients mentioned above for chicken except oil. Marinate for 15 minutes.
- Heat two tablespoon oil in a pan and place marinated chicken without gravy.
- Fry chicken pieces until golden brown.
- Then heat remaining two tablespoon oil, pour the marinating gravy and saute’ until water dries up.
- Now add fried chicken pieces and 1/2 a cup of water.
- Cover it and cook on medium heat.
- Once cooked, then remove from heat and keep aside.
- Heat oil and add onion, bay leaves, whole cumin, whole garam masala in a deep bottom pan.
- Fry until brown.
- Now add rice-dal and fry lightly.
- Now add all other ingredients for khichuri.
- Pour 5-6 cups of warm water and stir two or thrice.
- Add green chili ,chopped carrot and adjust salt. Bring to boil.
- Stir few times.
- Once water dries up, keep a tawa under pan and reduce heat to low.
- Place the cooked chicken with gravy.
- Sprinkle fried onion/beresta and green peas.
- Keep covering on a very low heat for 20-25 minutes.
- Remove from heat, add ghee and keep covering before serving.
- Serve hot with boiled eggs and salad.
And what’s a meal without desserts, the Lacha Shemai is an original Bangladesh dessert that consist of hot sweetened milk and raisins, so indulgingly good. The wonderful thing about this dessert is that it is kind of like those instant food. So, it is very easy to make! Here’s an easy recipe that can satisfy the sweet tooth of many (depending on how sweet you want it to be, might or might not be!)
Ingredients for Lachcha Shemai :-
1. 1 packet lachcha shemai, [ghee (south asian clarified butter) e vaja/ toasted in ghee will taste better]
2. 1.5 liter milk,
3. 2 table spoon condensed milk,
4. sugar according to your taste,
5. 2/3 cardamom,
6. 1 1″ piece cinnamon,
7. 1 bay leaf,
Raisins (according to your choice, but not too many)
Nuts for garnish .(according to your choice)
Cherry (according to taste, cut in 1/4 pieces)
First heat the milk in a pot to thicken it. Use medium heat. Stir it constantly. Do this till the milk becomes close to 1 liter. Mix in the condensed milk, sugar, cardamom, cinnamon, bay leaf. Stir till the sugar dissolves.
In a separate pot/ bowl place the shemai from the packet. First place a portion of the shemai in the pot/bowl and sprinkle some raisin and nut on it cover it with another portion of the shemai and sprinkle rest of the raisins, nuts and cherries. Pour the hot milk from the other pot on it. Cover it with a lid for half an hour. Remove the lid. and your lachcha shemai is ready. you can eat it hot, or you can keep it in a normal refrigerator and eat it cold. It is tasty either way. enjoy.
* You can use any kind of nut you want. Use according to your taste.
* when you are hitting the milk keep a constant watch and stir it, or milk might spill.